Summit Landscapes – Paving, Blockwork Beds & Fencing
This client in central Cambridge had a long garden and wanted a private paved retreat at the furthest end from the house, to be used for eating, entertaining and relaxing. We regularly complete many Cambridge paving jobs – please have a look at some more here.
During their design consultation with Summit Landscapes, they mentioned that they don’t have much privacy in their garden and wanted a clean, stylish and low-maintenance area where they wouldn’t be overlooked by their neighbours on either side.
The client also wanted clean, neat raised plant beds that would require little maintenance, which we constructed out of rendered blocks, each with a 15cm golden gravelled border.
– Excavated entire 21m² using a digger
– Altered levels in the ground to allow for water runoff
– Compacted a 75mm crushed limestone base
– Laid non-porous, soft-calibrated mint sandstone paving on 25-40mm continuous mortar mix using waterproof SBR and cement binder
Blockwork Raised Beds
– Excavated trenches using an excavator
– Poured concrete foundations using C35-strength concrete
– Constructed raised blockwork beds (Two square raised beds: 1.2m x 1.2m x 0.4m, one long raised bed of 3.8m x 1 block course)
– Installed membrane inside raised beds to reduce salt marks on the surface
– Blocks float rendered with integrated water proofer
– Raised blockwork beds painted brilliant white
– Filled raised beds with composts and manure to improve soil
– A mixture of evergreen, perennial and herbaceous shrubs planted in the raised beds to create the planting scheme
– Planted a multi-stem silver birch tree in the left-hand corner of the garden
– Removed existing fence and waste from property
– Dug 100mm x 100mm holes for fence posts and concreted them 600mm deep into the ground
– Installed 15m of feather edge / close board fencing
– Attached timber cant rails to the top, middle and bottom of the fence posts
– Attached timber gravel boards to the posts
– Nail feather edge boards to the rails using a nail gun and non-retractable nails
Please have a look at some of our recently completed Cambridge paving projects here.